Saturday, February 12, 2011

Sherwood Interview with Nate Henry (audio)

 The summer/fall after I graduated, I found myself working in a dry cleaners in Birmingham, Alabama for one of my closest friends. I spent many hot days in a plant assembling shirts, and then delivering them to various hotels and stores. Two things got me through those long days. The first was the occasional conversation I had with my boss/best bud, when he wasn't running all over the place, making ends meet. The second was Sherwood's second full length album, Qu, playing in my ear over and over again, courtesy of my i-pod. I can't explain how incredibly rare it is for me to listen to an album from start to finish, due to my short attention span. To me, Qu had been perfectly crafted to ease you in with the first couple of tracks, build you up on the following songs, then slowly bring you down again. It can only be compared to the feeling of riding an amazing roller coaster, where you get to the end and you turn to your friend and say "one more time?"
 Sherwood has the gift of creating pure pop-songs with a stripped down feel, which is very refreshing in an age where most pop songs are ridiculously over-produced and consist of a thousand layers. We need more bands like Sherwood out there, that are able to draw influences from the 60's and 70's when pop-rock was just a baby. 
 I was able to sit down and have an in-depth conversation with Sherwood's front man to discuss my favorite record (Qu) and the band's future plans. Please support these guys, because their time may be coming to an end.... listen to the interview below to find out the deets.

Laura Means photos from the interview, including the one below, can be found here http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?id=57701330&aid=2062219 




No comments:

Post a Comment